The worth of a man.


One of my favorite songs is by ‘Point of Grace’ the lyrics of the chorus goes thus;

God loves people more than anything (2ce)
More than anything He wants you to know
He’d rather die than let you go,
God loves people more than anything

I was on call over the weekend and I saw a middle aged man who was brought in by His children and other family members with a three day history of sudden onset abdominal pain, he cold tell you exactly when the pain started. The pain was severe, constant, worse in the epigastrium. He had not passed any urine for twenty four hours.
On Examination he was without a pulse or blood pressure, his extremities were cold and clammy, he was breathless, and his abdomen was tense with generalized guarding.
An erect chest X-ray showed a lot of gas under his diaphragm. We made an assessment of a perforated Duodenal Ulcer.
His condition did not improve despite our vigorous attempts to resuscitate him which included 11 liters of Normal Saline, he did not make any urine and he steadily declined clinically, he died about five hours after he came in.

His case was bad and I had given up any hope of him surviving surgery if he made it to the theatre but of course I could not voice out my fears to his family members though we had told them that he was in critical shape. When he died I was not moved to tears, I hardly knew him, his children and other relations wailed out in grief, lamenting the loss of their father. It was indeed a moving sight.

Later on in the night I had fallen asleep on the couch in my sitting room, suddenly it started raining, it was a storm, it woke me up, and I rushed to my bedroom to close the windows and tried to move my bed. In the process my lovely ceramic clock given to me by a dear friend fell on the floor and broke into two equal halves, I could not stop the tears that sprung to my eyes, I almost wept.

Strangely I remembered the man who had died and his family members, they had lost a gift whose value was beyond compare and I had lost a gift whose value amounted to an emotional sentiment. In shame my tears dried quickly, their loss was far more costly than mine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!