On Ebola in Lagos!

On Ebola in Lagos! #StopEbolaNaija #FightEbola

To be honest, my first palpitations occurred when I heard about the cases of Ebola in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. I looked at the west African map and shuddered, wondering if the countries were far enough from Nigeria to keep it out.

I had palpitations when 2 friends Gunnhildur Arnadottir and Emily Veltus sent out emails and posted fb updates to say they were headed to Sierra Leone to work at the MSF treatment center to actively treat and manage outreaches in a community hit by the virus. You can tell that I am very proud of them and a little in awe of their willingness to head out to fight this evil virus.

I had palpitations last night when I saw the headlines saying a suspected case had been quarantined at a hospital in Lagos and I had further palpitations this evening when I read that the patient had died.

Yesterday I called my brother in a panic and immediately reeled out the precautionary measures that need to be taken, he laughed at me and told me my physician mind was at work. Thankfully he knew all about them and at one point quelled his laughter to listen to me act like big sister. You can bet I was slightly relieved, but my anxiety remained. I have numerous friends, family, acquaintances in Lagos and in the rest of Nigeria and I would love for this case to be the only case and that explains why I put up my cover photograph.

I have decided to keep calm and #stopEbola by spreading the word about prevention, prevention and prevention. One cannot over emphasize it! I believe that putting all precautionary measures into play will go a long way in ensuring that the virus does not spread and wreck havoc like it has done in other places. This is not a time to panic, ignore the message and pretend like nothing is going on.

I believe in the efficacy of prayer but I also believe that taking precautionary measures gives you time to pray about other things and energy to fight other battles. Please read the message attached to my cover picture and spread the news. You never know whose life you will save.

And remember #keepcalmandstopebola!!!!!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!