CULTURE SHOCK COMMENTS

 I posted the link to my culture shock II article on various forums I belong to and I got a number of responses I would like to share here. It was interesting to note that my experience was not unique to me and even certain geographic differences existed with respect to greeting. I think one sentiment that is unique to all the comments I received was that the 'no greeting' part of the culture rankled the most. As a friend put it- 

''This is where the French differ. For them, greeting is a way of acknowledging the humanity of the next person. You cannot not acknowledge a person; it is a faux pas.''

Another friend said-

"You talk and laugh with a colleague one day...the next day, you wave at them from across the walkway....and they look right past you...GEEZ!!!!. How does one live a life without "greeting" or at least a form of acknowledgement....I'm still not used to it....๐Ÿ˜’"

Other comments:

"These are things I have experienced. The greeting one still gets me. I walk into my office shouting out good morning and many times I get may be nod or now I guess they are used to me a Hi Dr O. However others in the building who don’t work with me directly do not respond. 

"I agree it depends on where you live. Big cities are like that but things may change as you move into the burbs. All in all, it is culture shock especially buying a meal for someone. ‘ I’ll get the next one’ ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿพ‍♂️"

"....your experience indeed is universal. The one that shocked me most was greeting a lady that we both attended Bible study the same day (and several times before) later at the grocery store and she acted like we'd never seen before. Then recently, thinking this is the way of life and that I had gotten used to it, I met a lady I work with also at the store and I acted like ----if I greet her now she will not answer jare, and she surprised me by saying hello. Such is life in this country."

"True most people in the south a eager to say good morning or hello. I’d say the ones who don’t do this are considered “weirdos”. Bless their heart! ๐Ÿ‘€ There are people who’ve known me for many years in my department and they just walk right by me or even look me dead in the eye when I say hello and just ignore the greeting. Me sef don respect myself and just avoid them lol."

"I keep telling myself why it’s so difficult for them to reply when you greet people that you work with in the morning. It’s either they ignore or just nod. It was indeed a culture shock for me different from the way we were brought up."

"My experience with greeting has been different though. Around me here they are usually friendly and even when you are taking a walk people smile and say hello . I hear Canadians are generally friendly but it also depends on your city I guess. In St Johns NL they were even friendlier"

Of sharing costs or buying gifts, the comments......

"After this many years,  I'm used to it by now. On asking to buy coffee or tea for colleagues or coworkers, the response is always "let me get you the money", to which I respond "if I needed your money I would have asked". Most times it works. The greeting I've put down to part culture, part intimidation. Thanks for sharing!"

 "I recall my first experience. I was invited for a birthday dinner at a restaurant and people ordered whatever plus alcohol and me knowing my pocket ordered what I could afford only to get a tab of over 70 something dollars for because everyone split the tab ๐Ÿ˜ณ!!"

At the end of the day, everyone will experience culture shock wherever we go. There are things that we will never get used to and others we will embrace without a second thought. At the end of the day, respect for each other and a genuine desire to relate with others breaks down misunderstanding and makes things easier all around. Selah!




Comments

  1. So many perspectives. I feel I’ve experienced it all too. I’ve lived in small towns and big cities in different countries and the response to and offering of greetings are such a big part of each community. When I moved from London to a smaller town in Northern England, everyone greeted you. Even the teen boys speeding past on their dirt bikes screamed “GOOD MORNING” from across the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Yinka. I'd say the community where everyone greeted was a community where you were seen and acknowledged in a good way :)

      Delete
  2. I have so many mixed experiences, the most painful one was waving at my daughter's PE teacher in a grocery store and she pretended not to recognize me.
    Another funny one was seeing a former colleague at a new place of work and I had to call her by her first name and reintroduced myself to her. She tried to feint recollection ... I just walk.
    I have come to realize that it's a proven way to detect those that pretend not to be colorblind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, this hurt me just reading this. But I agree with you, those who acknowledge your existence are kind and caring. The others e get as e be for them o!

      Delete
    2. Yeah! Ouch!! That hurt.
      Well said Tomi. That last paragraph…GOLD!

      Been around the world๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŽต๐ŸŽถ and I’ve come to conclude that in the end…regardless of your culture…You can choose.

      You choose to be warm, inviting, kind and approachable…welcoming and open or…….not!

      We have evolved as a people beyond being defined by our culture alone…

      In this global village we now live in, we have all been exposed to a little more than ourselves and our culture and the little islands we live on and bubbles we call our homes….and we really should have an idea of what kindness looks like regardless of our own culture…so I take no prisoners when people are plain impolite.

      Don’t blame it on culture. Woman or man….EVOLVE!

      We can all choose to embrace a little more decency, a little more curiosity, and a little more trading of our biases for tolerance and inclusion.


      Delete
    3. Thank you for the reminder Tokunbo that we can choose culture that is kind and welcoming. Thanks for dropping a comment on my blog. Lots of love from me :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!