SACRIFICE!

I was one child that was actively discouraged from reading medicine. My father a doctor himself said several times, 'Tomi you have much better brains than to sit and read medicine, medicine is for people who can sit and apply themselves to studying the same old material. The material you will learn is all the same, a femur is a femur any day, the markings on the bone will always remain the same. But I said no all I want to do is read medicine!

I don read medicine o! And after all these years I know I will surely discourage any child of mine from coming down this well beaten track. It's not to say that there is no joy in the profession but methinks that there is much more sorrow or should I say you will have to sacrifice much more than you may get back and sometimes the sheer weight of these sacrifices can be overwhelming.

A doctor learns that every day is the same, there is no need to get excited about Christmas around the corner except if you are in full control of your life and then we can only tell you too well that you are not! Christmas day happens to be a very busy day in hospitals like the yoruba proverb goes 'ayo lo n pa eyan' Your birthday is no special day for you are more likely to spend it seated at a desk listening to the recitation of physical ailments by semi hypochondriacs than you are to spend it a surprise party given by your friends. Even if you manage to be welcomed to a surprise party you may not be there more than an hour into the event before duty calls.

You cannot plan any well meaning holidays with your family who have learnt by now that any promises you make are more likely to be broken than kept. For duty comes before any redemption of promises. Like the masked musician sang the woman married to a doctor is more likely to keep the bed warm herself same goes for a man married to a doctor. Family outings are spent hoping no calls from the hospitals come rather than forgetting about the wahala of the hospital.

Your social life is zero minus those who consider grabbing one or two beers after a long shift a social life! You are still living the triangular life you led as a student: Classroom to Hospital to House only this time its bi angular Hospital to House and back again.

Of course the above description does not apply to all doctors, some because of their love for another field or their dislike of taking calls tend to choose those 'nice' specialities that never or hardly ever need them to be woken up at odd hours to rush to attend to be patients. They can plan their lives down to the last letter. But those docs who choose fields like surgery, emergency medicine and junior docs in training can expect to sacrifice the finer things of life for 'service to humanity'!

What started me off on this tangent, I am to miss Christmas with my family once again as higher duty calls. I am not bitter or upset or sad (initially the middle quality could be used to describe me) after all no be me fill my JAMB form! And really at the end of the day I enjoy my work but next year I pray that Christmas for me will be spent amongst loved ones! Amin. So for those of you who will be home this Christmas, remember us as you eat those huge chunks of chicken and spare us a thought if not a prayer!

Comments

  1. Anonymous2:19 PM

    Doc,your language is way so familiar.Also the good part was well stated- at the end of day,most of us still enjoy our work and this,in varying ways.
    I really hope you would be able to convince your progeny about not taking after your profession.They are likely to see you as a model and one of them(pls forgive me,but I assume you going to have more that one!) is just going to strongly dream to become a Doctor in the future too.Rem your dad?What goes 'round comes around!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a life we hve chosen for ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amos u are so right! Andy na so o!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:43 AM

    Tomi,you mean I am so right with regards to you having more than one child?!Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope Amos very funny, u\it was ur statement what goes round comes around

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmm Tomi! I remember the lectures which were intended to sway you to travel another road! I am definitely glad you became a doctor and though I'm disappointed that you might not be home for Christmas, I'm proud that you are saving lives!
    Truly what better alternative is there to chomping on chicken? (i know" easier said than done- i am no doc)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:44 PM

    that makes two of us.i'm on call all through the christmas break and i've decided to think of ways to make it worth my while and the patients around even if i dont get to go home.
    as u rightly said the sacrifices can be more than overwhelming but i choose to think of those times when those sacrifices were made and it brought forth good results.the patient and his family happy and you going home tired and exhausted.I HEREBY SO AFFIRM.d oath has been taken.
    Soso D.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!