Natural by Force or by Choice!

I last had my hair straightened or relaxed in May 2009. It seems like an eternity ago! The only way I escaped it was by braiding my hair and having it woven in the 'adimole' / 'didi' styles in Bauchi and Katsina states where I worked. Since I came to the States I have only braided my hair once and I can tell you it would probably be the last time too:) I spent six times the amount of money I would have spent in Nigeria for braids that did not last more than 6 weeks. They were poorly done and all the time I spent having my hair braided did not translate into any savings of both  my time and money.

'Didi' to the Side!



Didi by a wonderful lady in Bauchi who refused to collect any money for making my hair!

Same style different angle!
Ever since I had the last set of braids out I have been making my own hair both with disastrous and sometimes pleasant results. If I was in Nigeria I am sure I would have received a barrage of subtle and not so subtle requests to go get something done to my hair. Passing by Tejuoso market or any other market  where braiding is done would have been a nightmare with calls of 'aunty you wan do your hair' flung at you whether your hair is nicely done or not!

I have received the upraised eyebrow, the frank talk by girl friends who do not like the fact that 1. my hair is natural and 2. I do it myself but I have stubbornly refused to 1. go get my hair relaxed and 2. have someone else tend to my hair for the simple fact that 1.I do not intend to relax my hair cos I like my hair just the way it is and 2. I love to do my own hair and I do not see myself paying an outrageous amount of money to have my hair washed and styled no differently than the way I do it.

I accept the fact that at the beginning of my adventure, I had no idea what I was doing. It seemed relatively easy to wash and dry my hair and plait my hair in cornrows (naija version- all to the back) than waste my time and my money going to a salon to get it done. I did this for many months and I was comfortable with the style despite the fact that I have an 'opon':) or is it an 'ogo'! I think I have both. Anyway, It was easy, fast and convenient.

The next style I discovered one day when I had nothing to do is the twist! I wash my hair and spend the next two hours taking little swathes of hair and twisting it. Its nice and short when its wet but it straightens out just a wee bit and I daresay it is a more mature style than the plain cornrow which is deemed a style for little kiddies. I can wash my hair everyweek, and I enjoy twisting my hair. The only times it irks me are when I have little winter cuts on my hands or when I am tired but I can twist and read so my kindle is my lovely companion when I am twisting and makes two hours go like a breeze.
A silhouette! Reminds me of dreads:)


Better view, the beauty is best appreciated from the front where the face is:))

Just playing with it, plaited the twists into 2 cornrows!

The twist style has reduced the pressure to go get my hair done by friends! Some of them even want me to do their hair for them:) but their hair aint natural:) The rejected stone has become the cornerstone SLY I know! It is so cheap:) ( I am a cheapskate I know! but why spend $120 every 6 weeks and lots of time to boot when I can sit down in the comfort of my home and twist my hair) and I get to spend time with my hair!
One of my first attempts at twisting my hair! Sorry the Picture doesn't capture my whole head:)

On a final note there is a whole online community of women who wear their hair natural and who inspire me! (Sometimes one behaves like Elijah in the bible who thought that he was the only true prophet of God but discovered that there were others who had also kept to the worship of the one true God.) Their blog posts, videos, pictures and interviews are a veritable resouce on how to take care of your natural here. Here are just a few of the many posts: Blackgirlwithlonghair  and thankGodI'mNatural that I go to for some tips and advice:)

Comments

  1. wow. can't believe you refuse to let anyone touch your hair..lol. go you! wish my hands were that useful for my hair
    I just jumped on the natural hair bandwagon!...:S im still sort of testing the waters but we would see how it goes

    do check out my blog www.sugarysea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the league of the Natural sisters:) I made that up by the way! I love making my hair, I do it exactly the way I want it:) I'll definitely stop by your blog, thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are blessed that you are able to do your hair by yourself...otherwise you would have been spending that outrageous money.

    I doubt I can carry my hair natural - it really hurts to comb :-) Whatever is comfortable for you, pls do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rita! It is comfortable for me and Im lucky my natural hair is really soft and easy to comb and make! and I love my money:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol! to think my hair is all 'natchy' too and we didn't collabo on this one! i'm coming for tutorials dear sis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow thats some skills to do your hair yourself...Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post made me chuckle. It's so funny that many people are really concerned when they see you with natural hair. Very few believe you are actually very happy with it. I decided to braid few months ago and the hairdresser sweetly suggested that I get a perm since it's not as expensive to maintain at home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Lamikayty cant wait to see you!
    @Ms Yellow sisi Unspoken, thanks a bunch.
    @Chinny thanks for stopping by! Do not succumb to the pressure please!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hair is lovely. I just took off tiny twists I did two weeks ago. I think I've found my new favorite style. It was easy to wake and go, and also wash and go... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Prism! Its so freeing:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hair looks great friend. I tend to keep mine braided but I had a good Nigerian friend who did it for not a lot of money. Thanks for giving me some tips though, I'll have to try it the next time I give my hair a breather!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Daisy! You should try it! Also started braiding hair:) Done it twice and I am pleasantly surprised that it turned out so well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!