Silence is Golden!

Over the last few days I have not wanted to speak but it seems that all those around me are not only blessed with the gift of gab they feel it is their duty to make sure all those surrounding them are aware that they have this gift. I love to talk so I do not hold this against anyone but as anyone else realises when you are on the receiving end of the gabists you do not enjoy being the center of attention as much as if you were the one doing the talking!

A teacher of mine used to recite the following phrase whenever we talked too much and we were not listening to speeches being given at assemblies and it summarizes my thoughts when I am the unfortunate being at the end of the 'gabists' rope. It goes thus,'If it is true that the world talks too much, let us all keep quiet and listen to the eloquence of silence'.

I started my "vow of silence" a few days ago while listening to a couple of ? college students lining up while waiting to be attended to by immigration officials at an airport. They commented on everyone and anything and they did so in such loud volumes that I wondered if they were hearing impaired. 'Look at that little girl'!they exlaimed, apparently they thought she was not fully Asian and one of her parents had to be Caucasian, next they commented on her clothes and how short her skirt was, and as it is with all 'gabbists' they flitted on to another topic within seconds, the next topic was their adventures in an african country, on and on they went and Im sure if I listened further I would know almost everything about them!

I guess life is in phases and I am at that stage of my life when I do not feel the need to talk about anything and everything and neither do I feel the need to explain myself to everyone and make sure they understand what it is I meant to say or do. These days I find myself keeping quiet even when Im misunderstood, my favorite philosophy is that the truth always comes out at the end of the day so even if you think I am a thief today somewhere along the way you will find out I am not.

So I save myself both time and energy and use the times I would have spent 'yapping' on more rewarding events like meditation and finding out like the bible says 'In confidence and quietness lies your strength'! So like my very wise teacher I would conclude by quoting her lines again 'If it is true that the world talks too much, let us all keep quiet and listen to the eloquence of silence'.

Comments

  1. "If it is true that the world talks too much, let us all keep quiet and listen to the eloquence of silence'." - Love that! Silence is golden... indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!