What I have been up to -4!!!

Hello Everyone,
Thank you once again for your lovely replies to my emails! I appreciate everyone of them and thank you for taking out time to tell me about your own lives. Your emails lighten up my day and make me remember there is a world outside here. It can be easy to forget when all you can see is the interminable dust and the world through your eyes. I also enjoyed the pictures a few of you sent as well. Thank you.
Life is peachyJ I had a very busy time last week as we had a massive influx of patients on one day. Its good to have worked in very busy settings before and my prior training and experience served me in good stead! So over the weekend, I had another trip for a holiday, this time it was just me and no one else on the team so I could really step away from work and just enjoy myself. I spent the two full days swimming and hiding out in my room enjoying the airconditioning and sleeping. Believe me an airconditioner is indeed to be enjoyed if you are coming from here. When I got back my roommate ruefully announced that the temperature in our tent was up to 56 degrees centigrade in the middle of the day! Its hot!!!!! Its truly a Hamam (Turkish Bath)
On my way  we saw 2 giraffesJ The driver had announced at the start of our journey that we would see 2 giraffes and though we really wanted to see them we could not help but be sceptical. But a few miles to our destination there they stood! I have never seen a giraffe in real life and I could not contain my excitement. They were beautiful, I took pictures so you could see them as well but I could not get full shots of them, a colleague helped to take a few pictures but they hid for the most part behind the brush. I also saw two ostriches, two warthogs (You might say Noah’s ark was parked nearbyJ) and numerous dik dik and camels! Thankfully we did not see any snakes!
This morning I almost ran out of the bathroom in a very undignified state of undress. We do not have a bathroom like normal bathrooms goJ Our bathroom was designed for the bush. Its a couple of wooden planks set over a big hole which has been filled with stones. The whole outfit is surrounded by plastic sheeting and a mat which covers the doorway. My over active imagination has conjured up several times all sorts of creatures living in the hole- Snakes, scorpions etc. This morning at about 6:10am, I distinctly saw two eyes peer out from below at me. The eyes stared straight ahead and then started blinking. I was sure it was a mammoth snake and while hyperventilating, I had the presence of mind to put on all my clothes even though I had soap all over me and dash out of the bathroom. I did not have my glasses onJ I immediately rushed to meet the gateman who had stepped out of the bathroom before I stepped in and with a series of hand gestures, english and my limited Somali proceeded to describe that I saw some creature most likely a snake in the bathroomJ J
After inspecting the bathroom and failing to understand me he woke up our interpreter who came with us. To my shame and while thanking God I had not embarassed myself running out of the bathroom and shouting, we saw the source of the blinking eyes. Can you guess what it was? J Im ashamed to admit it. They were stones that had little parts that reflected the sun which was just rising. By the time we got back the two eyes I had seen had merged to become almost a beacon of reflected light. Luckily the two people who saw it did not mention it to anyone else (not yet) but I hope they don’t ! (2 hours later and two of our drivers mention that they hear I am scared of snakesJ So much for my hoping everything was kept under wrapsJ
So while I am not conjuring up snakes with huge eyes in my overactive imagination, I am working at the health center. We have quite a number of patients from surrounding villages with Acute Watery Diarrhoea and we are having a hard time ensuring that everything is disinfected in a facility without running waterL But im back at work after my break and enjoying the work once more. Another part of me is slowly counting the days left.
I am attaching pictures of Miraa Khat. Its a local plant which has amphetamine like properties that make those who chew it addicted to it. Its a favorite local past time and an expensive habit to maintain. People spend between 15 to 25 dollars daily chewing the stem of this plant. Its similar to the betel nut chewed by Indians only there is no red glob spattered on the ground!
While I would like to work for a couple more months, I need to go home to see my family! Talking on skype or by phone or via emails is okay but sometimes you just want to see and touch, give hugs and smile, laugh and pray together without any interruption. Im learning a lot about where I am, the different tribes, languages, the geography, culture. It reminds me a lot of Nigeria!
This letter has gone on for way too long, Im not sure you will read every word but do please send a reply if you can,its nice to get mail once in a while. Thank you. God Bless
2 Ostriches

A bag I crotcheted

Abdullahi in all his glory

Camel bones at the butcher


Giraffe!!!




Miraa the plant

Yummy roasted corn

Add some salt pepper and lime:)

The 2 giraffes
 

Comments

  1. Ruud E8:11 AM

    Hi Tomi,
    I must say I have enjoyed reading ur epistles from East Africa!
    Brightens up my usually boring day! I must say I am tired of medicine but ur work makes me wanna still give it a shot!
    Hope you are not working this Christmas day!
    The Lord is with u! Emmanuel!
    Take care!
    'Trudie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Xmas Tomi. Interesting write-up. Like Trudie said, it spices up my often boring days too. What's Kiki? A type of animal? Why is that ugly looking bird called Abdullahi? It's too nice a name to give a bird. Well, it will have a name though. They should give it an equally ugly -sounding name.
    Your experiences make me miss medical practice. It's hectic and stressful at times but it gave me kicks and got me to meet new people without having to go out of my way to do so. Kinda still long for those days.
    I'm surprised that people spend that large sum of money on that amphetaminic weed while they are indigent. Is there any local use for the weed? herbal? or just for pleasure? Just wondering. As a medic, do you use it (or is there a use for it)in the field as a substitute for orthodox medicines with similar properties?
    All good. Once again, Merry Xmas and a blessed 2012. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Trudie:) Im certainly not working today:) Thank God. I am no longer in East Africa! Thanks a lot and Merry Christmas.
    Thanks Wande! Dik-dik is a miniature antelope- dwarf like, they usually run around in pairs! The Abdullahi is so called because its supposed to look learned- A bird with a black coat, white shirt and red tie:) Its an ugly bird I agree. Addiction is hard to break, all I know about it is that its really addictive, I dont know any orthodox uses for it. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!