Things you learn as you grow older!

Do you remember how important certain things were to you when you were growing up and now when you look back in time you laugh at how het up you were about them. Or do you remember how your parents or older ones warned you against certain actions and you felt everyone just did not understand how important those things were to you and if you did not do them your life would never be the same. And as is with the wisdom of adults they let you try out whatever it was that you could not bear to live without and you found out that life was never the same again just not in the way you wanted it to turn out!

I remember how badly I wanted to attend my secondary school and I would spit right into the drain while brushing and predicting that I would get admitted if all my spittle went straight into the drain and did not splash on the edges of the bowl and if I missed it would be another school. Of course I became a champion 'spittle down the hole champion' by constant practice missing the hole once in a thousand tries and in my little mind cheering myself on that I was a winner anyday. I eventually got into the school of my dreams but it was not the spittle that made the way for me but all the practice sessions for the exams I had in school and at home.

I remember wanting to go for parties of classmates and being absolutely downcast if I did not get to go. Maybe it was too far or none of my parents could afford to spare the time to take us down there. Then it did not matter why we could not be taken, all that mattered was our immediate satisfaction of attending the party going down the drain! (I do have a penchant for drains tonight). I also remember wanting to eat out at Mr Biggs (there was only one in lagos on the island when I was a child) almost everyday and now I cant stand to eat there unless Im absolutely famished!

The list is endless about the things we wanted and could not have or the things we wanted to do and could not do, all that mattered then was what we wanted. Looking back it sounds petty and childish ( well we were children) to have our whole world revolving round our desires.

As one grows older more things come into the picture, you can look back and see that it was great to have attended that school, but millions of people didnt and many more would not. What is important is learning the lessons you need to learn from others and yourselves and not making the same mistakes again. Lessons learnt include Patience, kindness, looking out for your fellow men, stopping to encourage someone who is discouraged (like someone did for me today) and generally making the world around you one where others want to gravitate to................To be edited!

Comments

  1. Anonymous4:35 AM

    Life happens as they say.... and time changes our perspectives of things... True words about learning the lessons one needs to learn from each situation -- that is the main thing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess as we get older, the chance that we will choose to learn from the mistakes of others rather than having to make those same mistakes ourselves increases, while as children we didn't have the wisdom to believe that someone was telling us not to do A or B because they wanted to prevent us from making the same mistakes they did.

    I am so thankful for the wisdom that comes (slowly in my case!) with age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by guys! Appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Childhood? Life was simple,so innocent and alot was dreamt

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!