Another Year!


In a few days I'll be wishing this year goodbye. Not only is it the end of the year for everyone it is the end of another year of my life and the beginning of a new one. When I was much younger I thought the end of the year was a really cool time, for it was the one time of the year when everyone in my family got together to celebrate several events, christmas, wedding anniversaries and birthdays and the celebrations seemed to be unending until the beginning of a new year and the start of another school year brought to an end the state of euphoria we were all in.


This time last year I was a scout looking for and following the trends of an epidemic on the front seat of a 4X4, this year I am a student again, back to the classroom I left 'many' years ago:) urging my brain cells to be as active as they were five years ago. Three years ago I was an intern assisting in gynecologic surgeries and performing my first ceasarian sections. When I was five years old I was in my hometown eating fried rice and chicken and strawberry and vanilla ice-cream and generally having a good time with my cousins, and other relations. When I was sixteen I received a present of pink lace from my parents, Yes I was once sweet sixteen!:)


I have learnt many lessons this year and know that I am much wiser than I was a year ago (hopefully).

I have learnt that the world will go on without you whether you like it or not.

I have learnt that the pretty things in life are not often the best.

I have learnt that family and friends are more important than a brilliant career, for even when you have reached the peak of your career and have nothing more to do, your friends and family will welcome you back into their fold without reserve.

I have learnt that I can do without having all the things I think I need.

I have learnt that I can make my own joy and have a celebration without having a reason to celebrate.

I have learnt that I wont drop down dead if I take off one whole day to rest:).

I have learnt to stop complaining about how people behave but to seek to be more like the person I wish they could be.


There are many more lessons I have learnt and many more God is pointing my way. I dont know where I will be one year from now but I hope and pray that I will once again be able to sit down and write about my memories at this time of the year and look back and conclude that the past year has been a pretty decent one.

Comments

  1. Yea,we all await the new year with optimism.....May we live to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you have learned a lot...and by sharing them with us we can think on them too! Some of my favourites from your list are:


    I have learnt that I can do without having all the things I think I need.

    I have learnt to stop complaining about how people behave but to seek to be more like the person I wish they could be.


    So true!

    Happy New Year in advance, and wishing you all the best in the new year, Olaoluwatomi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Myworld...May we live to see this and many other new years! Thanks Tomi for this post, lots of great lessons in there..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!