The Praise of Men!

Have you ever laughed at how cute a child who demands our attention is? Or how charming a child who wants your praise after attempting some feat which you would not think twice of performing e.g. turning cartwheels backwards!

In many ways I find myself acting like the child who stands by until you notice and comment on how her lovely her stick figure drawings are. I wait patiently for the words of affirmation and when they come I feel as happy as the child given a popsicle as a reward for good behaviour.

And when no words of encouragement or praise come what do I do? I go over all the work I have done for which I am yet to receive praise (ridiculous I know) and wonder what it is I did badly. I wonder if perhaps I should have spent more time working on the project, maybe I should have smiled while I presented my work etc. All sorts of thoughts roam through my hyperactive imagination.

Today the words of a hymn brought me to my senses. I dont have to receive any compliments for anything I do (not saying it wont be nice to receive the occasional compliment). If I do my work as I ought I should not do it to receive the praise of men but God's affirmation should be what I crave. And instead of craving human adulation and praise, I should be satisfied with God's silent smile.

The praise of man is fickle but God's reward is eternal!

Comments

  1. Anonymous8:40 AM

    so true.

    NewLife
    http://newlife-newone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...it's interesting that u brought this up...I think we all crave the praises of men at times...but it's God's affirmation that truly matters!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!