The Second Coming

Hello everyone i wonder if i receive any visits to my blog but if you do i am sorry i have kept you all waiting for months to add something to my blog i hope that this will be the start of many more bloggins!

I spent a year in Chanchaga in Niger state serving my nation, my experiences there will be the subject of another blog article. After the end of service i decided to return to BMC Ogbomoso to work as a medical Officer for a few weeks. From many of my friends they wondered how i could derive any joy or satisfaction from working in the bush as they like to call it. My reasons for coming back don't matter now.

Coming back here was not a tough decision and i found out that the people have hardly changed, iya woli is still around pottering around the theatre trying very hard to show that her bones may be old but she is still very much in control of the situation; student nurses a year ago are now either attending the school of midwifery or are in charge of the wards they once worked on as student nurses.

I came back as a medical officer though i do the work of a house officer, so my title change reflects only in my salary! (I hope it does i have not received my salary yet!) The work is as hectic as ever moreso after spending one whole year working at a hospital where the maximum work load in a full day (not if you are on call) consists of seeing ten patients daily the worst case scenario being someone with a malunited fracture looking for a miraculous cure after spending months at a traditional bone setter.

My day here starts with me waking up early ( early for me in Chanchaga was if i got up before 8am) to do a preround before the main round at 7.30Am then on to the clinic to see patients with all sorts of surgical problems, then to the OR (Operating room) to change catheters for old men whose prostates have significantly closed a passageway for the unobstructed flow of urine, removal and application of plaster of paris casts for fractures, wound dressings, ward dressings etc.
By the end of the day i feel like ive run a marathon and God help us if an emergency like the one that came in a few weeks ago disrupts our normal schedule- gun shot wounds, or road traffic accident victims who may need urgent explorations or procedures to stop them exsanguinating, then all hope of retiring early(say about 6pm) is irretrievably shattered. Worse still if you are on call. I wont go there.

Why a second coming? i thought that since i had been through the system before i could manage to put in a few hours to study for my pre- residency exams, live a life of unhurrried haste, get to go on with my life as before but right now the reality is that work here is never ending especially if you are at the bottom of the ladder, 'ise n pa yan' (work does not kill) the yorubas say but in BMC it puts your life on hold.

Comments

  1. Hi gal! Nice article! well written too.
    Looking fwd to reading more of the medical world....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!