The many Beds of Mine!*

Only the other day I woke up in a very confused state, I could not for the life of me remember where I was. The bed I woke up in was covered with pink silky sheets with green embroidery and the pillows where no where near my head. I almost started to panic and I actually did which was not helped in any small measure by the dream I was taking an active part in just before I woke up,I remember speaking to someone and telling them i was in Potiskum in Yobe state in the dream.

Anyway I was in Misau which is a local government in Bauchi state, I had spent the previous night in Bauchi town and the night before in Dutse in Jigawa state and two nights before in Kano so you can understand now why I was in such a state! Only the year before I had trouble falling asleep because I had just moved to a new town and I had been so used to sleeping in my own bed that it became something of a nightmare to fall asleep in another bed.

This past year I have slept in as many as twenty different beds in different towns and in all kinds of hotels or guest inns as they may wish to call them and asides the very posh hotels its nothing short of a nightmare falling asleep except when I am dead tired which thankfully happens a lot. The rooms are either too small and dingy filled with mosquitoes or too big, too cold and certainly not the kind of room I would love to fall asleep in, Vitafoam mattress or not .

Thankfully most of the mattresses are firm but the pillows are another matter altogether. Most times the pillows are usually as hard as rocks and certainly give you no dreams about angels ascending and descending stairways to heaven! These days I abandon them altogether which is something I dont usually like to do.

Many times the bedsheets are dirty and are filled with evidence of having been used before, you can trust me I get them to change the sheets and have the reputation of being too choosy in some places I stay but if I am to have any semblance of having a good nights rest I need to be choosy. I will not describe the state of the rugs/carpets in any of the rooms, the toilets are a different matter altogether. The sorry state of the rooms can give you something to dream about for the next year or two.

Like the CNN advertorial some people can only dream of a good nights sleep, I hope that I never get to daydreaming about sleeping well, Good night!

*Wrote this a few months ago!

Comments

  1. Nice write up -you seem to travel a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:15 AM

    kenny Olajide wrote
    i could just imagine you changing one of the sheets of the pillows
    and then noticing the map of the state you are in drawn on it by
    SWEAT OR SALIVA
    whew
    well travelled sha
    lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!