There is Fire on the Mountain!

No this post isn,t about Asa's song o! Its about fire, real fire. My worst cases during housejob where burns cases, like any medico knows managing burns is not easy at all, if you dontbelieve me visit any burns centre and observe for a few minutes the management of these patients, some I can never forget include a man who was switching on his generator near his motorcycle and it suddenly exploded, he was set on fire and sustained 100% burns and as anyone knows that is not compatible with life, we did the best to make him comfortable and explained to his relations the prognosis. He died shortly after.

My own experiences with fire thank God have not been that terrible. My first experience was with a candle. I had just arrived home after some time in school, so I was treated as a mini celebrity:) A nice home made meal from mummy, a night of jisting about what had happened in the months I had been absent from home, all in all I was having a pretty good time as the current center of attraction. Anyway it was soon time to go to bed and of course there was no light so I took along a candle on a saucer and piles of newspapers I had not had the fortune of reading while in school.My dad specifically told me twice to make sure I blew off the candle before going to bed, and I answered in the affirmative. I hopped into bed put the candle on the bed and spread open the newspaper I was reading, I placed my glasses on the saucer and promptly fell asleep.

My next conscious thoughts was of seeing a great light. I promptly woke up, my bed was on fire, I ran into the bathroom to get some water and doused it, after two or so attempts I put out the fire. I looked round in horror, part of the headboard of the bed was burnt, the mattress near my head had also dissapeared, I could only pick up fragments of my glasses from the saucer it was unrecognisable! I was too tired to do anything that night but I remembered wondering how I was going to explain to my dad that I had not blown out the candle as he instructed. Thankfully the next morning nothing more was said except to give thanks to God that I was not set on fire the night before.

Yesterday afternoon I received a somewhat cryptic phone call from my aunt in whose house I stay in, there was a fire in our apartment. Needless to say my thoughts first of all went to my documents:) , then to the fact that I may have been responsible for the fire as she had asked me to put water to boil with a boiling ring, I had done so but trust NEPA light went within minutes and I forgot to pull it out of the socket. So those were my first two chief worries at the time. On getting home, most of the cleaning up had already been done but there was still a lot of work left. My aunt had removed the ring boiler from the bucket of water in which I had immersed it and placed it on the wooden stand of the fridge but she forgot to pull it out of the socket. She left the house and locked it up and was alerted by neighbours who called her hours after she left the house that our house was on fire.

NEPA had graciously restored power and the ring boiler went on to set the wooden stand on which the fridge stood, the fire burnt the stand, along with the fridge and the microwave on top of it. The gas cylinder was just beside the burning items, but thankfully nothing else was set ablaze, the whole house was black with soot and the smell of the burning items lingered. We all are very grateful to God who prevented it from being more than a loss of just a few replaceable items, If the fire had spread, two gas cylinders would have added a new dimension to the tale I am telling today. Thanking God for life and an intact home to live in:) E ba mi yin Oluwa logo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!