Bitten by the wandering bug!



My sister reminded me a few days ago about words I had uttered when I was a child! The words are 'I will travel the world'. To the best of my knowledge I cant remember when I said that but I do remember that in my year book I answered the question "What next after Medical School?" with 'A trip around the world'. My love of National Geographic magazines also did nothing to stifle the urge to see for myself, the panoramic views of crystal clear skies or blue seas or mountain ranges and the dwelling places of men folk all over the world on the pages of this great read.

Unlike many of my classmates, marriage and its attendant responsibilities were not my next steps. I probably imagined that I would be hard pressed to find a husband who would put up with a wife who wanted to explore all the continents on earth at the cost of leaving his supper uncooked:))

Anyway I still have not overcome this travel bug and the desire to travel grows by the day. People ask me what exactly I want to do and all I can think of is a job that involves a lot of travelling and would allow me save some money for my dream project which is not a house or a car or any of the things that many cannot absolutely do without(More on my project next time). I would love to spend at least six months in one place at a time so I can get to know the people and the places I visit. I know this is a short time frame but a lifetime is still never going to be enough and of course I have to move on to the next place.

I need to stay in one place now for at least as long as it takes to receive training to live the kind of life I want to. But after that this wanderer proceeds to every nook and cranny that my feet can take me to. Will you get tired? I hear you ask. Maybe, Probably, but when I am at rest again, I know my feet will begin to itch to get up and go, and like the Hausas my response will be 'Kachi Kafe Kare', I cant stop now!

:) Am I serious?

Comments

  1. First time here, great blog!
    I also got bitten by the travel blog few years ago and sice then its been non-stop travelling, well as much as i can. My list of places to visit grows by the day.
    In Medicine there is lots of room to travel and work in various places. I'm not sure where u are based but here i the UK taking long time out of medicine can be detremental to ur career especially in the early days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ajala! :) Nice post as usual....
    who knows, a travelling husband might just suit you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. me too...i cant wait till i can afford to...and i will take my husband with, heheheh

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Scarlett thanks for visiting and the comment! Ill complete my training before I embark on my adventuures, the onset of effects of the bug can wait till then:)
    @Lamikayty You know thats not my real name, thanks! Hmm a travelling husband reduces the eligibility pool even further:))
    @Neefemi the day will come! LOL at taking your husband along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to travel too, but only for some time. After-wards I want to settle down, have a family, etc. But, when my kids are old enough I would love to take them on trips as well again. I think its important for children to "get around" and "see the world" while they are young.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:59 AM

    Tomi you and I are more alike than I thought! :-) Looking forward to hearing about your "dream project." Please send a link to that to my email when it comes out, just in case I forget to look here!
    Much love Kathleen
    PS: We are driving across Canada now and on our way to the American embassy....

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the best Kathleen, will certainly do so!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I was reading this entry I was thinking of Confessions in Scarlet and her love of travel so it's great that she commented!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @EDJ Nice idea! My parents took us on a Mr Bako and family type trip when I was much younger and I guess that only whetted my apetite to travel!
    @GNG thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too once had a dream that I would get a job that allowed me to travel. Have you tried getting a job with the travel channel? Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Lucidlith hmmm not exactly sure about that!Love to be in charge of my schedule somewhat, thanks for the thought though, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the traveling husband idea!! LOL!! nice post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!