In the Hands of Time!


I remember when I was six or a little bit older and my main worries were learning my multiplication tables and getting a perfect score in the early morning mental sums that was the first activity of the day in Primary school. Then I was nine and getting a score that would land me in the best secondary school in the country was my major worry. Then I got admitted into the school of my choice and avoiding the seniors who could make my life miserable was my next biggest headache. Then it was getting all A's in the Junior and Senior Secondary School Certificate Exam, then it was the University Matriculation Exam,then exams and vivas in Medical School...............................

All my life it seems I have worried about exams and nothing more. My life has revolved around school and the ubiquitous tests and exams and Its been difficult worrying about other things. Time has a way of making you look back on all you worried about in the past and all you can do is laugh.

In retrospect, I did learn my multiplication tables, the exams came and went and I did not fail any of them. The only exam I was told I failed in Medical School later turned out to be a false alarm(The results were changed almost 3 months later after my scripts which had been misplaced suddenly resurfaced) In the period of time between the results and the appearance of the scripts I had shed enough tears to fill a rainforest but that is a story for another day. Time has made all the 'struggles' I went through seem lame in comparison with 'adult' problems that have arisen. I cannot believe I once lost sleep over getting a perfect score in arithmetic but then it was the sun around which my world revolved.

These days I try and use the past as a signpost and warning for me not to worry about what the days ahead hold. The worst case scenario is that I will go the way of all flesh depending on how you look at it:), best case scenario, I will probably look back in a few years and smile at how worried I was about 'nothing'.

I love the concept of Time, for it heals wound literally. The tears I shed over seemingly insignificant things are no longer remembered. Time brings with it hope. This time last year I was wondering how on earth I was going to be where I am today and this year I am wondering about the year ahead.

I leave you and of course me with the words of Jesus for I need them as much as anyone 'Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”

Comments

  1. The thing about us humans is that we know that worrying will not change anything, neither will it remove a strand on our hairs. But we still worry anyways.

    Thanks for reminding us that there's no need to be anxious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sufficient o! Thanks for posting this....! lovely.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. obadayo9:10 AM

    Beautiful piece... A very much needed reminder for my quickly 'forgetful' mind...
    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. U ain't ever lied my dear... God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jaycee I am trying really hard to be less and less that kind of human being but it aint easy:)
    @Ty thanks
    @Dayo You are not the only one who forgets! Thanks for stopping by!
    @Neefemi, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!