Merry Christmas!



I will not resurrect the ghosts of christmas past for in doing so I may just dissolve in tears.

It is another Christmas and I am alone without my family! It is difficult hearing their voices over the phone, the excitement, the chatter, the plans of celebrations, the clatter of spoons, forks and knifes against plates, the unrestrained laughter that flows through the space and fills my room with more longing for home.

It is difficult knowing that once again the christmas chicken will be bought and dressed in spices and cooked slowly to make it succulent and only my imagination can bring to life its sweetness in an empty pot! No fanta or coke in bottles to wash down the jollof rice that was prepared specially for the christmas morning.

There will be no christmas trees- plastic or artificial for its not our custom to adorn the branches of a tree. The smiles of family glad to be together do more to brighten up the room than a plastic angel ever will. No presents will be exchanged for every day is Christmas and gift giving is not just limited to that one day.

Christmas at home is what I will miss this year! But thanks to Friends I will not be alone dreaming in vain. Thanks to friends I will have a jolly good time, laughing six hours after christmas is over at home; with friends who have reached out to make this day memorable and when it is over I will tuck it away in my drawer filled with sounds, scents and smells of another christmas past.

Merry Christmas and God Bless us, everyone!

Comments

  1. awwww and I'll be missing you too!!!!!!!!! Thank God for friends. Merry Christmas dear!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful that you had friends to spend Christmas with...it can be quite lonely otherwise!

    I've never had Christmas rice in Nigeria...maybe
    one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ty Missed you gan!
    @GNG Thanks a bunch, we should do something to rectify yor not having xmas rice in naija o! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!