Great Expectations

Ever wished that you won the million dollar lottery or you slept and woke up to the news that you were now heir to millions left by an uncle you never knew:) Im sure everyone at one point or the other has dreamt such dreams and though you consciously berate people who constantly dream about their next big breakthrough there is a corner of your soul that wishes that something extraordinarily Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious will happen to you!

I have no notions of such extreme bounty especially as I realize that riches have wings and bring with it their fair share of heartache trouble and tears. I also am somewhat of a level headed growing older day by day human being. Realizing that the tooth fairy was my parents putting money under my pillow in place of my milk tooth perhaps contributed to my 'waking up to reality'. The reality of life I saw daily as I grew up and especially as I started working in hospitals made me realize that those wishes had a million in one chance of coming true and the truth was that many would die everyday of preventable diseases, road traffic accidents would continue to claim lives because government officials pocketed the money meant for road repairs and children would continue to die of vaccine preventable diseases because someone could make more money making fake vaccines rather than the real deal.

Growing up is terrifying because you realize that evil does exist and good is more often trumped when there is a battle. Greed seems to take the place of the virtue of sharing and being compassionate. The lottery numbers are designed to spin in such a way that winners of huge amounts are celebrated by the media and the lottery companies make a profit off die hard gamblers who just know that the next number they put down is the lucky one. The long lost uncle does not exist, if he were that rich he probably would have been leached dry by relatives and friends and if he had any money left to give you it would probably go to pay his funeral rights.

Life is by no means fair! Hard work beats dreaming anyday, and that is what I dream of the chance to work hard and make a difference and not resort to dreams to keep hope alive!

Comments

  1. "Hard work beats dreaming." So true. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!