What to do when you can't sleep!

Its 1.33 am Im supposed to be asleep but my two nostrils were blocked and anytime I put my head down I felt like I was drowning and so I got up but I could not get back to bed and so here I am pounding away on the keyboard of my laptop extending the period of insomnia:)

So what do I do when I cant sleep?

1. I update my blog. I often get up in the middle of a battle to sleep, walk to my computer and then turn it on. I log into blogger and write. When Im through with that I then turn off my laptop content that I have exhausted myself sufficiently and then lie down again and drift off to bed. It often works.

2. I stubbornly refuse to get out of bed and lie down until sleep comes.

3. I pick up a book and start to read and only fall asleep when I have just a few hours left to ensure my bodies circadian ryhthm is not badly upset.

4. I play with the shadows imagining all sorts of things and dream while I am wide awake of events and people. It sure beats having nightmares.

5. I try to pray. Seeing that prayer often makes me sleepy, this is one sure way to ensure that sleep comes. I daresay the devil would rather make me sleep than get on my knees in prayer.

6. I write a facebook note. Like Im doing now. Many times my notes dont get to see the light of day. Its obvious that notes written when you are sleep deprived do not usually show forth your genius:) More like your lack of it.

I dont do many things when I cant sleep and those include the following:

1. I do not count sheep. I prefer to imagine more exciting things than counting imaginary sheep. Its a waste of my precious time.

2. I do not take sleeping pills or other sleep enhancers. I have been sorely tempted to a few times when sleep seemed to lurk in the shadows mocking me but since I do not have a drug cupboard in my house, the temptation has remained just that.... a temptation.

3. I do not walk around pacing the floor. I bet it would make me tired and probably aid in bringing sleep. But I have had enough exercise during the day walking around at night is more likely to raise a red flag.

I believe sleep is beckoning me now, thankfully my nostrils have cleared and I think I will drop off in a few minutes, so goodnight!

Comments

  1. Anonymous12:36 PM

    No one knows whether this would really work for many, so l have kindly shared to friends on facebook.Thanks to nature that kept you awake until you finish writing this piece and thank you for your effort to put up this writing.Just trying to gain attention anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:43 PM

    Thanks, so can l ask a question please? what can l do when l sleep late but wake up too early?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:44 AM

    Go back to sleep...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw pele...but I agree no sleeping tablets pls. I have a friend who is only 31 and cant sleep until she pops a pill!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!