Patience....



I am not very good at waiting patiently for things to happen, I like to go out and make things happen. People say God is teaching you patience when you wait instead of receiving all you have asked for promptly, others say its a period of soul searching, getting yourself ready for the next big thing etc

But I ask what happens when you have reached the limit of your patience and there seems to be no end in sight to the road you are called upon to travel what do you do then? Do you keep on along the road, or stop out of sheer exhaustion?

I am not at the end of my rope yet and hopefully I wont get there but I daresay it would be a more exciting journey if there are people to cheer you on. Ill admit I have so many cheerleaders along my way who believe in me and tell me I can reach the very top and this has made the trip much better than it would have been otherwise. But I long for signposts that tell me I am travelling along the right road, things that keep me looking on earnestly to the end of the road like the Pilgrim in John Bunyans 'Pilgrims Progress'.

I would admit I do not like the obstacles put in my way sometimes, shut doors of inns by the wayside, dead end roads that lead no where, hungry wolves that are interested in my lunch pack and maybe a little more interested in swallowing me whole. I would prefer the taste of a refreshing glass of cold water, a nice bed to sleep in sometimes when my sore bones ache from the miles I have walked.

One thing I can say in favor of the length of this road is the expectation that builds when you suddenly realize that this journey is coming to an end. My adrenaline rises, my heart beats faster, my legs seem more nimble and lithe and I can almost taste and see the abundance at the end of the road. I can laugh in glee at the little things that used to irritate me like the gnats and bees! The journey is almost over and I laugh in exhilaration at the very thought!


But reality descends for I still have a wee distance to travel and the load on my head is much heavier than when I started out and this part of the trip is the most treacherous part of the ordeal, but patience I have learned can be stretched even when you are at the end of the tether. Draw it out a bit more, it will not snap but lengthens like a cord with some elastic in it! Patience I have learnt is patient with those who sincerely desire to master it!

Comments

  1. "Patience I have learnt is patient with those who sincerely desire to master it."

    This is the deepest and most beautiful post I've read here. Patience has been indeed patient with me, and I hope I don't get to the end of the ropes. Yes, cheerleaders are priceless (I should know). Thanks for this beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jaycee I appreciate your checking out my post! I love cheerleaders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwww Wisdom!!!!!!!!!!! I'm copying the last 2 sentences to my fb status right away...of course, copyright U!!! love

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to come back to say "this touched me deeply and is so true" Profound words here Tomi...it'll cheer many a soul who read it. God bless

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!