Sleepless


Tonight is one of those nights that my diurnal clock seems to be ticking backwards, I cant seem to fall asleep. I have done a number of things in the way of counting sheep and extra since my battle to conquer sleep begun.

*I have gotten up several times to eat a snack.
*I finished reading the Immortal life of Henrietta Lacks. Its a great read, I particularly liked the authors weaving of historical medical events like the origin of informed consent with the history of the descendants of Henrietta.
*I have dived for cover in between my bed and the wall when I heard shots which I mistook for gunshots, realizing sheepishly 20 seconds later that some funny neighbours were probably just using their remaining stock of firecrackers from July the 4th celebrations.
*Trawled through blogs I have not read in weeks.
*Switched off my laptop, lay in bed (read tossed and turned) for about forty minutes and then decided to switch it back on and be productive if sleep refuses to come.
*Writing this blog post.


I do not like to lie awake waiting for sleep to come especially when my body really needs the sleep. I am not an insomniac thankfully because I do like my sleep. But waiting for sleep to come can be exasperating and the annoying thing about this is that when you have just about fallen asleep, then the wonderful diurnal clock rights itself and wakes you up, for its morning and life must go on!

Comments

  1. Pele...try the all natural melatonin pills...they will help you sleep. Your body produces melatonin at night so it is safe to use...it just boosts it and eases you to sleep. And it is non habit forming.

    As for me, I am a die hard insomniac...I use heavier tools to slay my sleep dragon..he he hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks LucidLilith for the suggestion, I do not envy you! I cant imagine going through this almost every day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!