Cicadas in Greenwood!

I spent a couple of weeks last month in Greenwood and I had a great time mostly because I spent time with my very good friends and secondly because I was on the receiving end of the famed Southern hospitality.

Where do Cicadas come into all this? I spent time with my friend and one day she asked me If I knew what the constant 'machine' like sound behind the house was. I did not,  but figured out that someone had a very loud lawn mower or piece of heavy machinery he was using. The only problem was that the sound did not abate and it was not until a few days later we discovered that the sound was made by cicadas.

The last time there were cicadas was in 1998, so I guess these cicadas have a 13 year life cycle. Their tymbals are the parts of their body they use to make their loud sounds. I made a recording of the noise and was also fortunate to take pictures of one cicada that took time out from its busy schedule to pose for me:)
Mr or Mrs Cicada? Not sure what its title is!

Sit back and listen to the sound of the cicadas from Southern Country! It's the constant humming noise and it was much louder than it sounds in this clip!


And here are some pics from my trip!

 
Of course, my story would not be complete without showing you pics of the feasts I partook of:)


They called it soup, but it tasted very much like our 'obe ata' sans the chips on top of it!

My friend's delicious salad combo! Yes those are shrimps!

My fish and brocolli, the chips came later!

A mural inside the restaurant!

The restaurant that served the great food!

Corn on the cob! Made by my friend, too sweet!

Make hay while the sun shines!

A town we passed through on many of our ramblings!

Invited by a lovely lady I met in my friends church to Easter Lunch!

Pear and Cheese! Yummy!

The easter spread!

Fresh flowers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!