A walk among the dead!

I remember seeing the cemetery during the winter when the leaves on the trees made sure it was a sight that you could not miss. And in my 'african' mind I shuddered, wondering how anyone could live beside such a place. But in the way the world goes, I now live in the apartment that overlooks the cemetery, only now the lovely leaves of spring have it all covered up!

I decided to take a walk through the graveyard a few weeks ago and when I mentioned it to my friend who had lived there before me, she said she thought I was 'african' but apparently she was wrong. I guess curiosity took the better of me and I was pleasantly surprised.

It is a lovely place and has the feel of being in the woods. There are so many lovely trees, running brooks, birds that sing such delightful songs that if I kept my eyes off the ground, I would think I was in heaven:) It is a lovely place (have I said that before). I went walking among the sleeping place of those long gone and I felt at peace. Apart from the manicured lawns among the tomb and memorial stones, one might as well be in some form of 'Paradisi'!

I could sit and forget that I had anything else to do. The first time I went, I had my Ipod in my ears but I removed them quickly for what is mans noise compared to the song of unspoilt nature? The sky looked so blue and the green leaves so green, squirrels running around busily and birds lots of them. There was a bird, bright orange in color and insistent in song singing a song, glorious in its trilling! The sun shone down warm and bright and my heart sang for joy.

I walked among the dead and did not forget that. I looked at the headstones, calculating how old they were when they died. Seeing birth dates all the way back to the 1900's was amazing. There were many stones engraved with such nice words, did the departed realize they meant so much to those they left behind. One can only wonder! I loved the tombstones that were made for couples, many engraved on one side until the other party joins them in the world beyond. I could not help but wonder how a man with more than one wife or a bevy of girlfriends would design his tombstone:)

I had a nice time walking among the dead and I can tell you that if you visit me, its one of the places I'll take you to:) You will enjoy it.

Comments

  1. You walked THROUGH the cemetry? You strong girl! I can't shout...so I won't be visiting you anytime soon. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I can see you are a kindred african sister:) I have actually been there twice and intend to go there more often:) Please come visit!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!