Songs from childhood!

I am going down memory lane tonight and remembering a few of the songs we sang as children in primary school. The songs I loved the most were the ditties that made no sense, we sang the same songs over and over again and in the way of children, we were lifted to heights of glory and danced among the stars, only coming down to earth when the songs were over and the drums were silenced.

Songs were sang during assemblies in the mornings and during sporting activities. I loved singing the hymns from 'Songs of Praise' and my favorite hymns were 'Brightest and Best of the sons of the morning' and Hymn 555 'Lead us heavenly Father Lead us'. I loved the version of Hymn 444 'All things Bright and beautiful' that we sang without the drums but  it seemed many more people loved the danceable version. Other favorite hymns of mine were 'Morning has broken like the first morning', 'Songs of Praise the angels sang' and almost all the Christmas hymns!

I attribute my love for hymns to my days in primary school and  it accounts for my ability to sing many  hymns without looking into the hymn books. I know almost all the words to the stanzas! There were other songs and we sang them with glad abandon. If we sang a particularly dry hymn we always looked forward to the march off songs that were sure to make us march and sway! Actually make that dance and dance!

Some of my favorite songs were 'Bom, bom, bom, gbo b'ilu tin lu'; Aeroplane yi to mi lo!, I wish I were a little fish,Opelenge ade oti ati be be lo!:) I remember with nostalgia the band that comprised the boys and the occasional girl who could beat out a fantastic tune and keep the rhythm and the lusty singing the rest of the crew engaged in when it was time to march into our classes. I almost always was at the head of the line as I was one of the shortest in my class (not a title I wear proudly). I remember going back to my primary school a few years later and wondering how on earth I thought the assembly grounds were gigantic! I had grown up and the wide open spaces had shrunk in comparison.

As I type this I see our little feet clad in white socks and brown sandals with our 'red' pinafores and shorts and striped green shirts marching in time with the band and going into our classes according to what year we were in. I can hear the drums beat in time and our little voices piping to a favorite song!
 Don't ask me what it means

Opelenge adeoti! O fe daran si mi lorun
O ni ki n wa pada .... lagogo meji oru
Adeoti o , O ri warara, O ri wororo
Mama e lo fi jo, O ri warara, O ri wororo
Baba e lo fi jo, O ri warara, O ri wororo
The climax of the song came when we sang the concluding lines of this 'nonsense' verse and we gave our lungs some extra exercise shouting at the top of our lungs
Gbogbo Iyan lo je tan, Ko ti e sanra rara
Pa idi rombo, papapa idi rombo!

Some days I wish life was as carefree as those days gone by, I'll make do with singing those songs to myself and laughing at the memories they generate! Good night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!