Aja to n wewu!


I remember a great song from childhood, it is a yoruba song that always set our feet to dancing on the assembly lines just before we started the march past into our classrooms. It was one of those jingles whose words put together do not make any earthly sense but the combination of the silly words and the beats just made us wild with joy. It goes thus:

Aeroplane i to mi n lo, ba mi ki iyami eleko
Eko meji o yo mi oyo mi o oyo mi
Moriranwo lagege aja wewu oro so
O gbe bag i sapako
o wo bata sese kan...........

The third line is translated thus
I have seen a strange sight in Agege, A dog wearing a dress and tying a wrapper,
carries a bag on one shoulder and wears shoes on its feet walking daintily.

I really do not know why Agege which is a suburb in Lagos is touted as the place where strange sights occur but in my own experience the strange sights are not in Agege but in the streets of the US.

I have really seen dogs dressed up!

Call me a girl from the hinterlands but I could not stop my eyes almost popping from their sockets when I saw dogs that were on leashes dressed up in mini jackets if I may call them that. It was the onset of the winter and the dear things were dressed for the weather:)

Googling dog costumes also brought up a whole host of costumes for dogs ranging from Christmas to Halloween costumes, it was amusing seeing the dogs on parade!

My childhood song is clearly not representative of the dog world, dogs wear clothes and nice ones at that and maybe the fashion trend will spread to our part of the globe and we will soon have dogs trotting around naija streets wearing wrappers and high heeled shoes like the words in my childhood song!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!