The blight of anonymous commenter's!


I have been rolling in stitches blog trawling! The posts that generate a lot of comments are predictable. Anything media worthy is sure to generate a lot of posts. The only thing that made my laughter subdued was  the way the comments sometimes degenerated into name calling, written abuse and downright untenable behaviour and most of the commenter's hid behind the title  ‘anonymous’!

In as much as I believe in freedom of speech, I believe that everyone who makes a comment must be willing able to stand by that comment especially if you are expressing personal views or making recommendations. Why hide behind a cloak of anonymity? Its utterly cowardly for you to ‘trash posts’, ‘name call’ and then not have an online persona to back up your words. It just goes to show how lily livered such people can be.

Luckily, I have only had the blight of an anonymous commenter during one of my earlier blog posts. I then made the decision to be able to screen comments before they could be published though I have done away with that now! I think the ‘Golden Rule’ should be applied in our communication online with others. There is no way I would like to be called an unprintable name, so I would not do the same.

Most of the mud slinging comes when posts are not read properly. Many posts are written not  out of spite but describing personal situations or with a good mix of ‘satire’. I sometimes think my fellow blog trawlers who write under the pen name ‘anonymous’ don’t stop and think about what has been written. They immediately jump up to comment as if they are fighting a personal battle. One of many rules I would advocate is for commenter's to sit back and put themselves in the place of the blogger who put up the post. Think about what has been written! Then ask yourself one question- Do I need to comment? You can save yourself the finger cramps that come from typing and a great deal of energy by not posting vitriolic comments.

Many a smile has been wiped off the faces of bloggers because of unthinking, unnecessary and hurtful comments. You can also help prevent a  4th world war by not commenting as often many wars are ‘fought’ and might I add ‘lost’ when one hurtful comment makes its way onto cyberspace!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!