Dinner with the Governor!


I was at a cocktail organized by the African students group at my school.
I met the Governor of Lagos state- Babatunde Fashola! I had heard of the event through a friend of mine who has a good nose and ear for sniffing out and hearing about such things and of course I wanted a chance to meet him. The event was strictly by invitation and there was no chance of 'mo gbo mo ya' behaviour. I signed up to be invited and waited expectantly but it was not until less than two hours to the event that I got my invite. Of course I was not to be deterred and quickly went home to change from my Jeans to a more respectable looking pair of pants! (trousers my naija bretheren, na so dem de call am for here, no be underwear o!)

I guess you can tell that I was very excited and I pride myself on not being excitable:) Anyway I got to the venue of the event on time for I am not one to keep to the African wristwatch. I had a heart stopping moment by the door when it took them some time to find my name on the list, but of course I was invited:) Anyway I walk in and very few people are milling around. Like I mentioned above it was the typical set up- small chops filled with cheese and sugar:) drinks and lots of small talk.

I met a few people but this was not what I came for, my friend with the good ear and nose for news comes in with another colleague from school. Then a couple of minutes later the Governor and his entourage appear! Thankfully we were all given an opportunity to talk to him and he very graciously shook our hands and listened to us. But blame my last name for always being a distraction, I am not a celebrity o! But apparently every uncle, cousin and other relation I know always has had the privilege of going to school with people I meet and my introduction is swallowed in 'Ah which 'insert last name' are you?, Are you related to so, so and so, He was my senior at school, he was head boy etc etc and my humble attempts to introduce myself are swallowed in the persona of another relation hmph. It was no different this time! One day I will make a name for myself and will be known for me,me,me (childish rants,Im laughing here:)

Anyway I had another two minutes to speak to the governor with friends from my school and even took a personal picture with him:)(If you want to see it you will have to ask:) and also with his some members of his entourage. It was a lovely experience all in all. He gave a speech about an hour after this cocktail about his vision for Lagos and what has been done so far to make the changes in the state. Ill highlight a few of the points he made.

He acknowledged that He just happens to be the visible head, he has a team which is as responsible for much of the success in the state. I loved the fact that he was able to deflect the praise as belonging wholly to him. Many others in his position would 'humbly' accept the praise and refuse to acknowledge the participation of many others.

He spoke about how he locked himself in a hotel room for days after he won the elections writing in long hand and then typing his vision for the state and later having meetings with members of his team to see how best this vision can be realized. It reminds me of a bible verse that says 'write the vision and make it plain'. I wonder how many leaders have ever thought up plans for the realms they rule? Its rhetorical but when you do not have a written plan, you cannot accomplish anything and this is evident in many places! Just my thoughts.

He spoke about visiting places not as a tourist but someone eager to learn how things are being run and then implementing them in the state. Many times I have wondered and had conversations with friends where we speak about leaders who spend holidays abroad and come home not wanting to implement even a tenth of the good they have seen beyond our shores. They seem to want to have the exclusive rights to nice things. I call that selfish! Its nice to hear that not all our leaders are like that. All I can say is that Lagos state is lucky to have him as governor.

Of course many things were said and it would take several posts to write down everything that happened yesterday. Its nice that LAGOS State is making a change in the right direction as I am sure many Lagosians would agree. I spoke to a commisioner and told him that what Lagos state is experiencing is what every citizen of Nigeria should have, call it our birth right if you will- Security, Health, Education,Good Roads, Power, Sanitation, Justice etc we should not have to beg to have access to those things and though the Governor is being commended for this its what we should all have without even thinking of it.

I was reminded both by the commissioners comments and the words of the Governor that when the land is full of darkness, one candle is seen as a great light! So Gov Fashola should be commended for braving the odds and going against the grain of what is prevalent. Another point is that the nations who we are constantly being measured against went through periods of instability and a lack of direction many years ago, they did not reach the heights they have attained suddenly but with hardwork, dedication, tears and a lot of sacrifice!

For someone outside the shores of my country, it was extremely heartwarming to see one of our leaders who is making a difference speak about what is going on and take on in discussion the apparent bias that many foreigners have about Nigeria.He answered questions about the Negative presentations the media give about Nigeria with a replica stellar performance like Chimamanda Adichies TED speech 'The single story'. The fact that a leper lives among many people does not make them all lepers. Thankfully leprosy has been shown not to be as contagious as it was once thought of in Ancient times.

My impressions of the Governor? He has made me a believer in the ability of government to make a change and a difference in the life of its citizens. Hitherto I believed that if we waited for the government to make a change my great grandchildren would be born still waiting:) Right now I may be persuaded to join a political party:)) Just Kidding! But seriously who knows? Gov.Fashola himself said that he never wanted to work for the Government and he is the Governor today!

All in all, it was one experience I am glad I did not miss if only to be rejuvenated and swell with National Pride once yesterday!

Comments

  1. My dear Tomi...I have vainly posted the picture of yourself and the Governor on my desktop and have almost (I had to confess my sin) passed it off as being me! :)
    Glad you had a nice time and enjoyed your meeting and were or are inspired by what you heard.
    I went home in a Taxi yesterday and the driver was a really grumpy old man who did not hesitate to throw the vilest abuses at anyone or anything that wanted to hinder his accelerating at break neck speeds even in traffic! Wanting to engage in conversation, I asked him what he thought about Gov. Fashola's introduction of several public-private initiative taxis. I got in reply a whole mouthful of negative comments. In short, he was not impressed at all and his perception of what the governor is trying to do in Lagos was truly negative. Like he put it, 'Se flower la ma je' (Is it flowers we would eat?) in response to his own question of the usefulness of tree planting and beautification. Another thing i think i heard him say which struck me was that 'never again would a lawyer be voted into power' and right there he hit the nail on the head....
    Nigerians cringe at having rules and laws... (I know thats a general rule but allow me) after having lived for years (and some people were born into that sort of life) without any restrictions on where they can dump refuse, driving, cleanliness, simple law and order (street markets taking over roads), 'kickbacks' etc, they are 'fighting' back or upset at someone who comes and lays down laws and says things must be done right.
    I wish Gov. Fashola well but acknowledge that he has a long tough road ahead of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't been on this blog in ages! Me, I want to see the picture oooh...lol
    People resist change everywhere - seems Nigerains are much more resistant though. Good to know the political terrain has some sensible people. Don't wanna get there and not have like minds to flow with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Toyin LOL, the grumpy old man hit the nail on the head but the gov touched on the lack of law and order. He said his administration is trying to address the frustrations of people who have no choice but go against the law because they do not have the right things. Blaming the lack of infrastructural developement since 1975, he said that if no new roads had been built, no new markets in sight, no new anything and the population grows by 600,000 every year,people no doubt will be lawless like your grumpy taxi driver who probably spends 60%of his life in traffic bcos no new roads have been opened up and virtually every lagosian has a car.
    In addressing the infrastructural problems he also addresses the frsutrations, build new markets, street trading will disappear, develop a rail system road congestion will be a thing of the past!
    Its a long tough road but patience has never killed anyone yet!
    @Andy welcome to my blog again! What post are u thinking of running for?:)Osun awaits you o!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tomi - i wish i could agree with you wholeheartedly. Its a horrible cycle o and from my Systems Dynamics class I can tell you that building roads will not solve the problem of congestion. Trying to solve one problem in isolation (like road congestion) should involve more than just road construction or re-construction but the whole transport system needs to be looked at and treated as a whole not in bits and pieces. Well, you might say Gov. Fashola seems to be tackling quite a number of issues all at once so lets hope and pray that results will come. i do agree 'patience' is a virtue every Lagosion requires. (Emm...did i just call myself a Lagosian? lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess my post did not do justice to the governors plans, but i do not think he intends to approach this in bits and pieces. Are there any fora like town hall meetings were citizens can ask him questions? maybe u should attend one of them! I do not want to sound like his trumpet! Seeing is believing and while I agree he cannot solve all the problems, he will probably make a huge dent in the mountain of problems Lagos faces.

    You have lived in Lagos virtually all your life, you are very Lagosian if I may say so!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky you!! Have heard many wonderful things about him. LOL @ "no chance for mo gbo moya behavior" ...you're a trip! lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bonny Island!

Death III

My Mother Tongue!